Are you ready to go on a Short-Term Mission trip?
Stop and think! In a few short months, you could be halfway around the world on a mission trip!
You could be making a difference sharing the love of Christ with other believers in their local churches or sharing the Good News with the lost.
It is very exciting to “GO” on a trip!
Here are a few questions to ask yourself to see if you are ready to go. If you’re not ready right now, this will give you an opportunity to prepare and get ready.
Before you start planning a trip, ask yourself the following 2 questions.
- Do I know why I want to go?
- Do I realize it’s not a vacation and I’ll be working with people relatively unknown to me and there will be stresses, as well as adventure?
I think we all need to be honest with ourselves when answering these questions. You may just read them quickly and wonder why you need to answer them. I want to encourage you to spend time thinking and praying about it. There are no wrong answers!
Ask yourself the following 5 questions to assess your spiritual and physical readiness:
- Am I a follower of Jesus Christ?
- Am I active in my personal relationship with God?
- Do I desire to share the good news of God’s love with others?
- Do I have health or medical conditions that may affect my ability to travel and serve?
- How is my overall health: spiritually, emotionally, and mentally?
Besides the above questions, you also need to ask questions about your readiness to travel overseas.
Ask yourself the following 3 questions:
- Is my passport current?
-Best practice is to have it valid for 6 months after your return date. If you need a Visa to travel to your host country, In Motion Ministries will take care of this in the planning process.
- Is there political unrest? Will it be safe for a team to travel there?
-If you are unsure, IMM stays abreast of the sensitive locations in the world and will be able to advise you if your country of choice is unsafe for travel and ministry.
- Do you need to get vaccinations or medicines before you travel?
-Check with your IMM Trip Planner for the latest information on prevalent diseases for your chosen location or on the CDC.org website.
These questions are meant to help you prepare to go on a trip. They are a guideline. There are no right or wrong answers. You are the only one that can decide if you are ready to go on a trip. The information can be overwhelming. Start praying and have faith that the Lord will guide you and use you on a trip. Most people come back feeling they received more than they gave. It definitely works both ways. Please be open and ask the Lord to lead you.
Hope to see you on a mission trip in 2019!
Written by Vicki Albaugh
Please visit my blog at travelwithpurpose55.com.